The Special Education Teacher, under the supervision of the Principal, is responsible for maintaining the special education department, including compliance documents for each student, and provisions of services for students who have been identified as needing special education.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements or required training for subject and level assigned
- Special Education Certificate
- Demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area(s)
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting check prior to starting employment. Non-refundable fee paid by applicant.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by TEA, board policies and administrative regulations.
- Plan and supervise assignments of teacher aide(s) and volunteer (s).
- Work cooperatively with administrators, team leaders, department coordinators, content specialists and other staff as needed to meet curriculum objectives.
- Know campus data in regard to state assessment, benchmarks, and available interventions.
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals and teachers.
- Compile, maintain and file all physical and computerized reports, records and other documents required.
- Attend complex ARD Committee meetings, and provide follow-up to special education placements including planning and implementation of ARD Committee decisions.
- Perform special education audits and gather State Performance Plan data to submit to TEA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Go to all jobs