Description of Chatter PALS:
- Preschool speech therapy class housed in one location in the district
- Ages of children in Chatter PALS is 3, 4 and 5 year olds that are not eligible for Kindergarten
- Each class contains up to 12 children per group
- Classes are held 2 times a week and each class is 2 hours long
- Lessons are driven by the speech and language goals written in IEP
- Centers may include: literacy, arts/crafts, phonemic awareness and individual/small group speech therapy
Mission of Chatter PALS:
- Provide Speech services in a more natural learning and language enriched environment.
- Decrease the likelihood that students entering Kindergarten will need continued speech therapy services
- Decrease the likelihood of reading disorders associated with language and articulation impairments
- Improve effective communication skills to access the school curriculum
- Improve communication with parents to ensure faster carryover outside of the speech room.
- Students presenting with moderately delayed expressive language skills. Articulation deficits may co-occur.
- Students displaying intact language skills with moderate to severe articulation impairments.
- In the past, when districts have stuck to the eligibility guidelines (moderately delayed expressive language skills and/or articulation deficits), our groups have shown an 80% dismissal rate prior to entering Kindergarten. If the provider wants to include students with receptive language impairments; the dismissal rate will likely not be 80%